Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back to the drawing board...


Good old fashioned tech support.

Well, it's 11:00 p.m., and after an evening of wrestling with reducing photo files for pdf downloads, I'm just standing here at the computer, getting ready to type this blog post.  Standing?  Yup.  All this blogging, on top of all the writing, editing, designing and general business of the new Bookazine (which I think will finally debut this Friday), has been killing my ankle.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I have one ankle that, when forced to sit still at this computer for long stretches, gets puffy and tender.  All day up and down ladders, no problem, but 45 minutes on my butt, and the beastly little joint is screaming.  All day yesterday, up and down the stairs with large chunks of heavy furniture, and my ankle is quite happy...even if my back isn't.

There's been a good bit of press about the health risks of spending too much time sitting down all day at work.  Beyond the pain in the ankle and the flattening of my butt, apparently I'm supposed to be concerned that it's bad for my heart.  I don't think they are referring to the lack of love transpiring between myself and this cranky old computer, either.  Scientists say even office workers need to work standing up, and they've invented fancy new ergonomically correct desks and lifts, just for that purpose.  Of course, I had my own slightly more economical solution, and no, nothing cobbled from salvaged bedposts and upside down end tables, either, for a change.

I've been using my antique drafting table in the art studio just as a flat work surface, at standard height.  Not only was it not being used for its tilting or adjustable height features, it was eating up a lot of real estate, since nothing could be stored below it.  But it was too lovely a thing to let go of, so I made it work.  Until I needed my computer keyboard at waist height.  Of course, moving one table started a sort-of domino effect, and thus began the semi-annual upstairs/downstairs/way downstairs (thank God I don't store furniture in the attic!) rotation of large and unwieldy objects.

Aside from a slightly tender back, I now have a waist high drafting table in my office, holding computer, keyboard and phone rather than t-square and triangles.  I have a displaced chaise lounge blocking the hallway, awaiting it's place in a corner of the dance studio, which is currently occupied by a pretty but non-functional antique settee that I can't bear to part with.  I have a new work surface in the art studio twice the size of the drafting table, supported by a pair of bookshelves, and with room for even more storage.  And best of all, as I stand here typing, I have one very happy little ankle, giving me no trouble at all.  I'm sure my heart is safer, too, since I'm in love with the new arrangement.

Good thing it's all mostly back in place, 'cause I have a whole buncha projects and samples to be doing on the new and bigger art table, and though the Friday debut of 365 Being cannot be absolutely guaranteed, one thing is certain:  Time to get back to the drawing board, and start putting together the second issue!  :)))

Check back Friday, when HOPEFULLY we'll be launching!

No comments: