Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Beginning at the beginning, again.

Today I started the first phase of a project that will probably get a lot of write-up on here, come spring.  One of my most stylicious clients, Jodi, called me about a month ago to warn me to block out a chunk of time next February, because she had a lot of painting for me to do.  Previously, I had custom finished her kitchen cabinets and with her help, covered her fireplace in chip-china mosaic.  Sadly, a fire recently took their stunningly beautiful house down to the studs. 
Just wait til you see what we have planned for this corner!
Happily, Jodi assured me all kids, dogs, and husband are safe and sound, and miraculously, although almost nothing was salvageable, the fireplace was saved.  Though not a happy crafter, Jodi had worked with me on this creation for several days, so she knows first-hand what it would take to replace it.  Aside from an insane amount of time, there are bits of Grandmother's jewelery, and ceramics gifted by friends.  It's basically irreplaceable, so she's extremely grateful that it won't need to be! 
This fireplace is one of my favorite jobs I've ever done.
Our meeting today was to go over her decorating plan for the main floor, and figure out which parts I could do.  Basically, she showed me gorgeous tearsheets and luxurious samples, and I tried not to drool on them.  She made my job very easy by having a binder filled with well-organized magazine clippings, and fabric samples for most of the major upholstered pieces.  We sifted through them, looked at decorative objects she was starting to round up, and then toured the house, which was stripped to the studs, and getting ready for the last of the sub-floor to be pulled out.  Having worn dressier clothes than normal, I was immediately reminded why I usually live in paint rags and hiking boots...silly me.
Just a few of the dozens of clippings that help a client communicate wishes to a designer.  My task is to take my cue from these, but create something completely unique for my client.
There will be some basic faux finishing to do, and then some amazing pattern added to a couple of walls, a painted floor or two, painted ceilings in the kitchen, butler's pantry, dining room, and a hallway, and a very cool bit of trompe l'oeil drapery, cascading over a built-in display ledge.   
When Jodi pointed out this decorative tray propped on a bookshelf in their temporary house, saying she liked the design,  I immediately saw a ceiling pattern.  Imagine it exploded to room-size, with a chandelier dropped from the center!   Lucky for my neck, I have a couple of months to spend with the Bowflex, getting in shape for this particular project.
I also get the job of searching out some big architectural salvage pieces, and possibly creating a very cool bench out of restyled cast-offs, which means a day or two haunting some of my favorite Minneapolis salvage companies. Some gals get excited at the prospect of a day at the mall. Me? My idea of a great day shopping involves dark, dusty warehouses filled with grimy bits of the past. I'll keep you posted on what I find!

While the circumstances that created this job for me are sad, this transformation will be such a joy to complete.  Jodi had created a beautiful space that showcased her unique style, but because the house was built for another family before hers, it was laid out for a different lifestyle.  She now has an opportunity she never expected to shift walls, change details, and make the space function better for her family.  I am so looking forward to playing my part in this, and sharing the progress here, with you.

No comments: