Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The usual suspects

Last night was the monthly meeting of the Valley Garden Club, in which I am an honorary member (they don't call me that, but really they are kind to allow me to call myself one of them in public).  Several of the regulars are off traveling, or tied up with kids in school activities, but we still had a pretty respectable turn-out.

This month, one of our own members, Joyce Bailey, a Master Gardener who loves growing pumpkins, stepped up to the front. She did share growing info, but the highlight of the night was her quick tutorial on pumpkin painting. Even members who steadfastly refuse to do crafts were finally convinced to just play along.  Actually, we held them hostage and forced them, but they enjoyed it. ;)



All the usual suspects are in the line-up.  I think the second and third from the left are in cahoots.

The technique requires only acrylic craft paint, and if you wish, a clear acrylic spray to seal it afterwards.  Joyce gave a few tips, like making the eyes really big, starting with a generous amount of white, and outlining everything in black to make it pop.  Though I paint all the time, I love learning from other teachers, and I find even simple projects can present new challenges and opportunities.   I loved the opportunity to be the student for a change, and to paint something that was just for the pure fun of it, with no importance attached to the results.  Try it!  You just might like it.

You will have to paint your own pumpkin, but you can hire me to paint your walls.  Check out the portfolio at theartofthehome.com.

If you have questions about pumpkin painting, or anything else you see on the blog, don't hesitate to email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.  I'll do my best to answer.

No comments: