Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What is it that makes your heart sing?

This makes my heart sing: 

I've never seen a wild rabbit relax out in the open like this.  The photo quality is pretty bad, but I couldn't open the window and storm window to snap the shot, and I'm not exactly Susie Homemaker when it comes to things like window washing...sorry.

This was the view from my staircase window yesterday morning.  I see the rabbit at my back gate most mornings when I leave, but usually on alert.  This is the first time I've seen her looking like she owns the place.  I am particularly fond of rabbits, as you may have noticed, and I've found that if there are plenty of dandelions and clover in my lawn, they leave my flower beds alone.  Being eco-friendly is quite literally no work at all! 

This also makes my heart sing:

Background colors and twigs are hand-painted.  The teapots were cut from a poster and mounted with spray glue.
I painted my powder room door a couple of days ago.  I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but there have been many far more pressing projects, not to mention bids and jobs and obligations.  Finally, on a morning when I simply couldn't force myself to get going on The Endless List of Important Stuff, I gave in and grabbed a paint brush, and went at this door, still in my pajamas and bare feet.  I let the machine answer the phone, and had anyone come to the door, I wouldn't have answered.


I wish I could tell you the artist's name who painted the teapots, but I cut them from a poster years ago.
 Terribly irresponsible, but I'll wager you've done the same. You called in to work feigning flu, when really you just needed a mental health day. If you did it more often, you really might never get the flu. I kid you not, except for the occasional hint of a scratchy throat, a slightly stuffy nose for a couple of days last winter, and a stress tummy for a few hours one day, I haven't been sick in years. Really.  It isn't luck. It's listening to my body and soul, and giving them what they need.  Occasionally that's "calling in well" to work, so I can stay home and do something just for fun, barefoot and in my jammies.  You should try it more often.


In most cases, I would decoupage these, using Mod Podge or Weld-bond, and topping with several coats of sealer.  Because this house still has all its original doors, I didn't want to do something so difficult to remove, should a future owner not be as charmed by bold paint and flowery details, so I used spray glue instead.  It will still hold up for years.
So, what is it then, that makes your heart sing?  If it involves paint, plaster, or the imaginative use of junk, perhaps I can help make it happen for you.  Check out my website theartofthehome.com for all kinds of ideas, and the info on how to hire me.

Doing it yourself?  If you have questions about materials or techniques, I'll do my best to answer.  dawnmariedelara@gmail.com

No comments: