Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Time to face up to the truth

I am in the process of rearranging the art studio, since I had to steal a table from there for the new potting area in the mudroom.  Don't know what I think I'm going to pot, but I feel like a real gardener with pots and seed packets all neatly organized.  Of course, as soon as I look out at my (ahem) "gardens", the feeling is pretty much dashed, but short lived fantasies are better than none at all, to my way of thinking. 


Anyway, upon seeing the new layout, the first thing one of the Artgirls honed in on is the cluster of half-finished sculptures.  "You still haven't finished these?  It's been like, for-e-ver!"  Aaagh, the guilt! 

I'm trying to teach them good habits.  "Sketch something every day" I tell them. (groan).  "You could wipe your brush on a rag instead of your smock", I gently instruct (eye roll, while wiping brush across shoulder).  "I know this part is boring, but you will be happy later that you took the time for the prep" (grumbling sigh).  "Let's just finish last week's project before we start something new.  It's very important to get in the habit of completing things." (mutinous glare).

Do I sketch something every day?  Work plans, maybe, but just to whip out the sketch book for five minutes and draw whatever is in front of me?  Luxury I rarely allow myself the time to indulge in.  I could wipe my brush on a rag, but what's the harm of wiping it on my shirt, when that's what paint clothes are for?  And if it's for a client, I will always do all the prep, but on my own house, I'll skip masking, in order to get to the fun part quicker, then spend all kinds of time later wiping up my messes.  Do I think these amazingly brilliant little girls don't pick up on these things?


They say we are drawn to teach what we need to learn.  Unless I want an uprising the next time I insist on completing last week's project before starting the new one, I think I better get some bodies on these heads!  The truth is, I know I can schedule my time to allow for personal art, if I truly value it, and myself, and if I want to set the best example I can for these (mostly) sweet, trusting souls.  But I think I'll lighten up on the virtues just a little, and make it a rule that brushes always be wiped on one's paint shirt (to save on studio laundry, of course).

No comments: