Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, October 18, 2012

And sometimes, it just doesn't fly...

They say all's well that ends well.  Hm.  I'll let you know about that.  Remember that fireplace I mentioned a few posts back?  Well, I've been working on it...
before
Usually, I do fireplaces as a restyling project, but this, and four shorter ones in the same house, are brand new blank canvases.  Here's the sample I came up with, based on a fireplace the homeowner saw online...

sample, based on a huge marble slab fireplace spotted online
 And here's the fourth attempt, about 3/4 of the way done, when we decided to scrap the whole idea....
Ummm...don't think so.
The client was very hesitant to say it, but he finally asked how I would feel about trying something completely different.  Ummm...relieved!  Sometimes really cool ideas are better in concept than actuality.  Sometimes I just have to chalk it up to experience and move on.  A lot of folks in my industry will avoid trying unusual ideas, since it isn't really profitable to do something different on every job. 

This isn't just my job though.  This is my living.  How I spend my days in useful (okay, sometimes just interesting) pursuits.  As an artist, I know full well that you don't save every canvas.  Not that it wouldn't have been nicer if this had been canvas-sized.  Oh, well.  Check back often, and see how it ends.  It will end well. 

As they say, it will be alright in the end, so if it isn't alright, it isn't the end.  Tenacity Jane signing off...See ya in the bramble patch!

Things usually go much better, as you can see in my portfolio at theartofthehome.com.

Questions or comments?  Leave 'em below, or email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

Where else I write?  365being.com.

No comments: