Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Friday, April 29, 2011

Saved by Molly Wizenberg

Thank you Molly Wizenberg, orangette.blogspot.com

Thank you Jo Packham for introducing me to Molly through your fabulous new magazine, Where Women Cook.  wherewomencook.com.

For what?

For cinnamon toast.



It's worth looking for on the newsstand, and it's worth the price, as like all Somerset publications it has very few (and only relevant) ads, and rich, real content.

 Yeah, I know, we all learned to make that when we were about six, but not like this.  And not the kind of cinnamon toast you can serve to company with tea, and make them fall over in delirious joy on your sofa.

Okay, that hasn't exactly happened yet, but it could.

I altered the recipe very slightly, but it's a pretty flexible thing.


Ingredients:  One stick butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp nutmeg (or 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice), 6-8 slices sandwich bread, Chateau Ste. Michelle Harvest Riesling wine, optional.
First, if using the wine, pour yourself a glass.  (Molly's recipe did not include this step.)  Chateau Ste. Michelle Harvest Riesling is my new favorite Riesling.  It has almost no tanginess, just a really soft peachy-pear sort of a flavor, and a comfortable price, even if you don't catch it on sale at the Friday night wine tasting at Prairie Liquor.  Sip appreciatively, while performing the next steps:

1.  soften butter to very creamy, but not quite liquid.

2.  mix sugar and spice in a separate dish

3.  butter each slice of bread on both sides, using a spoon, rather than a knife.  Molly recommended white, but I used a whole grain/oat nut, and it was perfectly lovely.

Oh, so very quick, and very unlikely you will be out of any of the needed ingredients, just when you least have time to run to the store.

 4. stack the bread and cut either in quarters on the diagonal, if square, or in half vertically, then in thirds across, if wide-pan.  If you want to be fancier, you can trim the crusts before cutting, but I think they are fine rustico, like biscotti.

5. dredge each piece of bread in the sugar mixture until fully coated and place on a large cookie sheet. Molly suggested lining in foil for easier cleanup, but I had no problems with this sticking to any of my cookie sheets.

6. bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.  Molly said 25, so either she is using a different oven than my old gas baby, or white bread crisps quicker.  It won't crisp all the way until it's cooled, unless you burn it (oops), but mine was still too soggy to crisp at 25 minutes all three times I've made them.


Allow to cool on wire rack before testing.  Really.  Allow to cool or risk sizzling your tongue on hot butter.  wh, wh, wh, ssssss, owee, owee ow ow ow....mmmmm.
  7.  Allow to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes to crisp up, while you refill the glass of wine.  These are actually better with orange spice tea, good strong coffee, or milk, but if you are going to drink wine with them, this is pretty good.

 
Store in the cookie jar until they somehow all disappear.
 These can be kept in an airtight container for ...uh, I don't really know how long.  At least two days, if you put them in there and leave town for a day.  Molly said they are better if left to mellow, and she's right.  They get richer with time, if they last that long.

So, thank you Molly, for giving me a "cookie" recipe that I can whip up, and toss in the oven before getting in the shower, knowing I will have something to serve the clients I suddenly realize are due to be here to look at paint samples in an hour.  Thank you also, for giving me something to blog about on a week where my job seemed to consist of no real work, just driving in all directions to quote on everything imaginable, and a few things I still can't quite imagine, but I'm sure will come to me after a good night's sleep. 

Not sure what I'm working on here at home this weekend, but check in Tuesday morning to see if I have been able to ascertain just how long Crispy Cinnamon Toasts keep when stored in an airtight container.  Maybe you could try it, and let me know, 'cause I don't think I can keep restarting without going up a jeans size, and I'm working very hard at going down a couple more.

You can help me work off the Crispy Cinnamon Toast tests by hiring me to do fabulous things to your walls.  Click here theartofthehome.com to see my portfolio, and find out how easy it is to hire me.

If you, too, become a CCT addict and need to work off the indulgence, start a decorating project of your own, and if you run into questions, feel free to email me for advice.  If I know the answer, I'll be happy to (lick the buttery crumbs off of my fingers and) type a response. dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: