Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Passages

If you run out of books to read in my house, and recipes, magazines, and fascinating online content ( try notmartha.org, if you like cool crafty tutorials), you can always read my woodwork. Actually, one of the first things you see coming up the front steps of Belle Ami are the words over the front door...




Greeting painted above the exterior door, here at Belle Ami. 
  Sorry, but I just can't quite fathom why anyone follows typical decorator advice to keep the foyer neutral, tucking family pictures in private spaces, and displaying meaningless objects in artful ways to greet visitors.  Coming through my front door, you are greeted by photos and sculptures of those I love, you are face to face with an altar, though you may not recognize it as such, and if you look up as you head into the living room, you get your first taste of the words I live by...

They are painted intentionally subtle, so you will have to click to enlarge, click again for detail.  "Define your personal myth, and have the courage to live it."

It took a long time to decide what to put here.  I wanted to both introduce myself, and suggest a way for guests to experience their time in my home.

And why over the doors?  mmmm...because I can?  Actually, there are two completely different reasons.  First, I love words on walls, but most of my walls have such specialty finishes, that if I ever wanted to change the words, the thought of repainting the walls would probably nix that idea.  Lettering on these graphically appealing over-door panels (which have a name in architectural lingo that will, of course, not come to mind right now), is a simple matter of a quick slick of paint to cover, then whipping up a new quote. 

The other reason for lettering over the doors is because doors are powerfully symbolic.  These are ideas to carry from one experience to the next, one room to the next, out into the world, and deep into prayer...in the door, through the door, out the door, close the door.

My living room is both the place I visit with guests, when we're not hanging out in the kitchen or the art room, and also where I start my day with morning pages and prayers.  Upon entering, you see this quote above the door that leads to the dining room...

Click and click again to see this more clearly.  "The highest form of bliss is living with a certain degree of folly"  -Erasmus

Once you are seated, if you look above the door you just came in, you see this one, inviting you to manifest the reality you define as heaven...

Click and click again to see the lettering more clearly.  "Change your mind, for the Kingdom of Heaven is within you" is perhaps the finest advice, courtesy of John and Jesus, rephrased by George Bilak carvingart.com 

If you pass from here into the dining room, you see this one...

Click and click again to see the lettering more clearly.  This is an old favorite of mine.  "Love is the source, Joy is the power, Life is the celebration" -Lynda Paladin 
...and when seated at the table, you might notice this one above the door you entered through, as well...

Click and click again to see the lettering more clearly.  A simple prayer of thanksgiving "My blessings are great, and I am grateful."
Lest this all get just a bit preachy (and this is about as preachy as I get.  If you don't want to hear it, just don't read my walls...or this blog, I guess), I took a break from spiritual writings, for the doorway I face when I work at the table in the art room.  Cindy Lauper reminds me to loosen up, and be really, authentically me...


Click and click again to see the lettering more clearly.  "It's rock and roll, baby.  You gotta let your freak flag fly." -Cindy Lauper

Words are such powerful things, especially when backed by emotion.  Those spoken carelessly can injure others, but be careful of the words you say to yourself each day, as well.  Words accompanied by emotion create the reality you experience, so be sure to choose them wisely.

Until next time...
Click and click again to see the lettering more clearly.  "Be well, do good work, and keep in touch." -Garrison Keillor's sign-off each day from The Writer's Almanac on MPR/NPR.
Want to make a statement on your walls?  Check out my website, theartofthehome.com , for more ideas, and all the information on how to hire me.

Want to do this yourself, but need a little advice?  Email me, and I will do my best to answer your questions. dawnmariedelara@gmail.com

No comments: