Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, December 12, 2011

Mischief Managed

Sunday's open house with photo ops went off without a hitch, though not without some amusing moments.  It started out well enough...well, except for a few last minute glitches.  Lisa, the photographer for the day, left her house without, of all things, her camera, so after circling back for that, she arrived just minutes before our first photo appointment.  I didn't have time to worry about where she was though, since at about 9:00, I realized I had forgotten to replace the piano bench's disintegrated particle board seat, and was frantically sawing and upholstering right up to opening time.  (Amazing what can be done utilizing hot glue and the selvage edge of some left-over fabric!)

Luckily, the decorating was mostly done Wednesday night.  Cindy, shown in the last post crafting me a lampshade, did this arrangement on top of the refrigerator.  I should have had Lisa take shots, as I can't capture the lush elegance of it, but perhaps you can imagine it.

The fake snow on the balcony was the only snow we had, as the temperatures spiked into the forties.  Cindy and Sherry created this arrangement from vintage skis, an old picnic cooler, dogwood twigs, silk flowers, and craft store birds.  Me?  Ummm.. I hung the curtains that frame the view.
We had seven families come for pictures, and lots of other folks who came just to tour the house.  Some were first-timers who have admired the house since long before I moved in, and have always wanted to peek inside; some had been here before, and were checking up on progress in paint and plaster projects; and others came to check out the holiday decorations, specifically.  We were also thrilled when a new-to-town violinist, who had spotted the event on facebook, came with her violin and played live music for about an hour.  Janet Roper is a delight, and I'll feature her on here in the near future, so you can meet her, too.  Who knows, maybe I'll even figure out the audio/visual capabilities of blogger?!
I couldn't see the reaction of the adorable teeny-tiny Wyatt who was at the piano, but the antics of Grandpa peeking over Mama's shoulder, who was peeking over Lisa's shoulder, amused me, in a Norman Rockwell sort of a way.  Honestly, nothing turns a grandad into a clowning fool like a camera shy tot.  (No offense, Grandpa!  I adore clowning fools.)

This scene was a favorite for many, though one toddler burst into tears when she thought she was being put down for a nap.  Hadn't figured on that one.  Hadn't figured on this one (above), either!  My paint clients,  Lorine and Dennis brought their grown daughter along for a family picture, and it was apparently decided that one never outgrows bedtime stories.  I'd be more surprised at this big tough contractor dude going along with this photo, but the first time I met him, he was dressed manlier than the Marlborough Man, and carrying a chihuahua dressed in a pink ruffled dress.  (I hope the next time I find a man in my bed, it's one with such a great sense of silly...oh, and no wife!)
If you missed the fun this year, don't worry.  I'm pretty sure we'll do some version of it again.  If nothing else, having events like these gives me deadlines for finishing decorating projects.  I"m up to "Huzz" on the "Huzzah!" list, for those of you keeping track.  The dining room dresser is finished, and the last bathroom wall is finally ready for it's top coat of paint (photos in an upcoming post).  For tonight, I need to sign off of here, and go see if the honey-toffee candy I invented for tomorrow morning's goodie exchange is edible, or if it would be better to try melting it down with some milk and giving it as ice cream topping.  Nothing like a little down-to-the-deadline improvisation to spark the creative juices!

Want your house photo-ready before Christmas 2012?  Let's get started now!  I'm booking mid-January, but will have a large part of late winter/early spring unavailable, while I work on a large job, so my next available dates may not be until March or April.  Check out my portfolio and information at theartofthehome.com.

Working on a fun project of your own?  If you have how-to questions, you can leave them by clicking "comments" below, or email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com  If I have an answer, I'll be glad to share it.

No comments: