Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Walking into Doors

I popped over to the library a few days ago to use their printer, which is way better than mine.  Crossing the street, I saw the librarian and a man in earnest conversation, looking at the door.  Georgine spotted me and exclaimed "Ask Dawn-Marie!  She's a painter!" to which I replied "Ask me what?"

Cranberry door with Chamois frame or Chamois door with Cranberry frame?  Sample boards cut to fit are the easiest and surest way to know what the paint is going to look like.

They wanted to know what paint the man should use on the door, and when I started with recommending they re-prime it with Zinsser or Benjamin Moore Stix, due to the number of years it had weathered since it was installed, he grumbled about not doing three coats, and when I suggested they use Benjamin Moore Super Spec to paint it, he grumbled louder about having to drive several miles to get that. I shrugged and said I thought that since it gets a lot of use, I would use the best quality products, at which point I was handed the work order and the paint sample color, and told to knock myself out.

Wha...? Bu...? Ummmm, did I ask for that? I'm quite sure I did not. I don't actually do straight paint, but the look of relief on the librarian's face made me accept. There was apparently a need for her to spend most of her day off, guarding the doors against children, while he painted, and since I live across the street, and keep even stranger hours than our little library, perhaps I could manage it without her there? Guess that's where you'll be finding me in the early mornings this week, before going off to my previously scheduled paint work. They say you should look carefully before crossing the street, and I think I'll take that to heart, from now on!


Final choice:  Chamois door frame, Cranberry door, and white window trim, since all the windows on the building have white trim.  Color names are descriptive, and not actual Benjamin Moore colors.  I matched them to the brick, as close as possible, and will adjust them to suit before actually painting.


No comments: