Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homework


Creating this bookazine, 365 Being, Savoring a Life of Abundance, Joy, and Beauty, is such a grand adventure, and sharing the fun of the creating with friends makes it even better.  I do still paint murals and sculpt plaster for a living (booking late February into March now, if you've been thinking of having anything done this spring), but on days when I'm not in a client's home making something pretty, I'm likely to be in my own, usually making a mess.  Today, Cat's husband Stephen came over to shoot the step-outs for two of the projects we'll be featuring in the spring issue.  Since I have projects for the bookazine and for clients scattered through every room, we ended up sliding the kitchen table aside and shooting the stuff on the floor in there. 

Somehow, I don't think this is how they do it at House Beautiful!

Stephen had fun playing at my house, shooting pictures of all kinds of things while I was styling these shots.  He's perfectly willing to let his wife Cat (my business partner in 365 Being) and I keep him so busy he doesn't need to keep his regular job.  We're working on that!
 You know what, though?  Even though most people at the big name magazines probably mostly love their jobs, I don't think they have nearly as much fun as we do.  I bet they don't get to work in ocelot slippers, or better yet, in their pajamas any day they want.  I bet they don't have the flexibility to bake bread while working on the marketing plan, or have long leisurely story meetings while cooking and eating lunch, and deciding if the recipe should be included in an upcoming issue.  Somehow, I think it's much more stressful there.  I once considered relocating to take a job at one of those magazines.  I'm glad I didn't pursue it.
What kind of crazy person quilts her ceiling?  One who loves fabric, but doesn't actually quilt.  Directions for crazy quilting all kinds of things will be included in our Spring issue.
Sometimes things start to get stressful here, but then we reality check it.  365 Being is about fully living a perfectly imperfect life, creating beauty in joyful ways, even if it's not in the ways we planned, so stressing out makes no sense.    As we get near our self-imposed print deadline, I know I'll be working some crazy late nights, but at home, in ocelot slippers, a four meter commute from bed. 

Whatever you are doing to make a living, I hope you truly are making a living, not just a paycheck.  If you have always thought working from home would suit you best, I hope this is the year you follow your heart.  It's not always easy, and sometimes it's really, really hard, but if you keep it in perspective, it's hard like a doing a triathlon.  That looks positively gruelling, if you ask me, but obviously those that do it love every sweat-inducing drop of the work.  From the bottom of my bottomless heart, I wish you work that you love, with people you love, in a place you love.

Now, I'm taking my blissed out self back to the art room, for a few more hours with the glue gun and sewing machine, and an audio book.  Oooh, I bet they don't do that at the big magazines either, having someone read them stories while they play with the art supplies.  Whee-hee! 

Busy with work you love?  Tell us about it in the comments below!  If you have paint or decorating questions you think I might be able to answer, you can leave them in the comments, too, or email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com

I'm always curious who is reading, and from where.  If you are NOT a spammer telling me I've won the British lottery for the third time this week, nor one wanting to sell me enhancing medications for body parts I don't have, I would love it if you would post a comment and introduce yourself.

No comments: