Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Plaster, paper mache, or a bit of both?

Since the article in the Star Tribune came out, I've had lots of inquiries about what I use for the sculpted plaster.  For some things, like stenciled plaster, and twig trellis, I use joint compound...

Twig trellis plaster, natural white, over troweled plaster base.

Twig trellis plaster back splash, majolica glazed.
Stenciled plaster motif, with piped garland, on cabinet door.
For the squash blossom and fruit garlands, I use DAS modeling compound, which seems to be a cross between plaster and paper mache. Since a lot of books on European historical buildings refer to the baroque plaster work as paper mache, just as often as they call it plaster, I kind of wonder if it isn't a blend. Perhaps next summer when I'm in France for a mixed media art class (check it out at DayleDoroshow.com!!!), I'll have a chance to find out.
Hand sculpted paper clay on my bathroom wall.

A more natural style of vine and hummingbirds.  The gray is where the paper clay is still wet.  It dries brilliant white.


The gold border is hand sculpted paper clay, the pattern in the burgundy part is stenciled joint compound.
I also use DAS for things like the Gwragedd Anwnn sculpture that I started last summer, and hope to get back to sometime this summer, and the Greenman face on my foyer table...
Gwragedd Anwnn, a human sized Welsh water sprite, will eventually walk out of my living room mural.  For now, this paper clay over carved Styrofoam head sits on my work table, patiently waiting for me to get back to her.
Paper clay hides a crack on this plaster urn.  The gray tones are where the material is still wet.  The finished urn, used as a table base, can be seen in the column to the right of this post.

Wandering around on Pinterest a few days ago, I stumbled upon this website:  http://ultimatepapermache.com/ , which had a recipe for making one's own paper clay.  I commented on her clay recipe, including a photo of my hummingbird plaster, and she commented that it might not be as fine as DAS, then jumped right on perfecting it for finer detail!  I haven't checked back yet this evening to see if she was successful, but her enthusiasm to see if she could meet my need just rocketed her right up toward the top of my Favorite People list. 


I sometimes think this old computer sucks up way too much of my time, but isn't it great fun to connect with people you probably would never have met, without all the social networks and amazing blogs?  What a world of ideas you can travel to, right in your own home...if you can't join me for Dayle's class in France...just a thought...


You can see my full portfolio and the information on how to hire me at theartofthehome.com.


If you have comments or questions, leave them by clicking the comment counter below this post, or email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.  Don't be shy.  I really don't mind answering your questions, if I know an answer.

No comments: