Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Friday, August 12, 2011

Heaven. It was Heaven...

You don't think this looks like Heaven?  You are obviously not a junker, alley shopper, or dumpster diva, and probably not a  mixed media artist.  This really unfocused photo (sorry, I even tweaked it, and this is as good as it gets.  I was just too excited about the treasures to slow down for photos) is the warehouse for the Zero Landfill Harvest, and there are three more days of it.  Click on this link: zerolandfilltwincities.wordpress.com for all the info, as I don't want to risk typing it wrong, thus sending you there on the wrong day or time. 

Basically, it is a bunch of designer samples of fabric, tile, wallpaper, carpet and more, plus tons of three ring binders, cardboard tubes, and interesting miscellaneous to make your creative juices gurgle in anticipation.  And it's free to anyone who shows up.

There were piles of carpet samples.  Don't get attached to the one on top, because the toes next to it, belonging to a small girl named Madison, took it home. 
I spent about half an hour sorting through a box of tiles with Madison.  Luckily, she mostly liked things I didn't want, although she giggled merrily every time she scored a good one that I was reaching for.  Lucky for her, I'm not one of those insane women you hear of at the After Christmas Sales, who trample small children to get at the best deals.  We had a good time discussing bedroom color preferences, her aunt's insistence on coming up with craft projects for her to try, and her absolute conviction that she is not an artist and doesn't want to be.  Seven-year-olds are fun to hang out with.  Of course, she laughed at my jokes, so I would think this.

These tiles are mostly for a mosaic I want to do around my bathtub.  It will take me a good while to collect enough stuff to start, so don't be holding your breath!

I would use the stone tile samples for coasters, but I don't really need coasters.  I mostly wanted them for samples of marble choices I can paint for clients.  Madison and I were both collecting the blue brick shaped ones.  I did resist the urge to distract her and steal the ones she had put in her box...barely.

I don't really have a plan for the fabric samples.  They were about to close, by the time I finished sorting through the tile, so I just went through the top of one fabric box, frantically pulling things in colors that fit my palette, and that were big enough to use in patchwork pillows and the like.  Some of the smaller pieces will be used in collage projects, and for covering journals, and  I'm sure the Artgirls will have lots of ideas for anything I don't use.

These old roof tiles looked like the base for an interesting mixed media piece.  I'm not sure what goes in front, but perhaps a big cog wheel, and some other rusty bits, turned into a clock.  I need some less-pretty/more-funky pieces around here, before this house gets too sugary sweet. 

So there you have it.  My idea of Heaven.  If you think this is a little odd, you should see me on community garage sale weekend!  I get positively giddy at the sight of all those knick-knacks waiting to be smashed for china mosaics, and the gloomy old furniture just begging for paint and tassels.  All the girly-girls can quit worrying about me beating them to the mall, unless Sears is having a sale on power tools.  I am the Dumpster Diva, Queen of the Alley Shoppers, and a Master Junker...see you on the search!

If you want to see some of the things I've done for clients with salvaged bits, check out my website, theartofthehome.com, and in particular, the page titled Cabinets and Furniture.  On it are cabinets crowned in old headboards, which you would never recognize as such, silver salt and pepper shakers repurposed as cabinet knobs, several pieces of painted furniture, and a china mosaic fireplace that I wish was mine. 

If you are doing a reclaimed project yourself and run into questions, feel welcome to email me.  If I have answers or ideas, I'll be happy to share. dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.


No comments: