Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Have I told you lately that...

I love my job.  Today while I worked, I listened to amazing live music, played by my client's teenage son.  His dad mentioned that he doesn't read music, plays by ear, and composes his own, so I think I was hearing something improvised...Rachmaninoff crossed with Vince Guaraldi?  A very hip classical jazz fusion?  Maybe it was just a practice session, and he was running one song into the next with flair.  This guy isn't just good for a kid, this guy made me beg for more!  Unfortunately, he had to go to work, so I had to settle for MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) the rest of the day.  His folks say he isn't on myspace, but keep your ears open for a group called "Lady in the Radiator".  

I've spent the week in Mankato, doing classic marbled walls in a dramatic gold and umber, with sculpted plaster detail.  It's going nicely, and should finish Sunday, so I'll show that next week.  Driving to Mankato, 35 miles south of Belle Plaine, is always good for a smile, first because it is a really pretty drive, and second, because it goes through The Valley of the Jolly Green Giant.  Yup, this is where that overgrown asparagus spear is from.  I find myself thinking up new ways to end the sentence,"Though I pass through the shadow of the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant, I will..."  Keeps me awake, amused and fearless!

Here's what's new at my place:

This is a floorcloth, painted for the living room.  It isn't hemmed yet in this shot, as I had to roll it out of the way to work on parade costumes for a merry band of super heroes, but I'll get back to it early next week.  Click to enlarge, click again for details.

I'm hoping to get a proper website up soon.  My favorite webguy isn't available, and since I'll be needing to do frequent updates, it may be just as well that I do it myself.  I need to find a template that gives me galleries for my portfolio, and preferably one that lets me use one of my own photos for the background.  If you know of something other than godaddy or weebly, let me know.  Also, if you have any favorite websites that are really easy to navigate, or really gorgeous to look at, let me know, either by comment on here, or email dmquinche@gmail.com .

If you're in the area this weekend, it's Bar-B-Q Days in Belle Plaine!  There are events starting Friday night, ending Sunday night with fireworks.  Mostly, it's a small town celebration with great food, carnival rides, and a parade on Saturday at noon.  Watch for the Keystone Women's Circle, along with my art students, as "Everyday Super Heroes".  Uh-huh, that'll be me in the ninja painter get-up.  See ya there!

No comments: