Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tea For Three

Cindy and Jim, both of Minnesota Officiants (minnesotaofficiants.com) standing at the back door, dreaming and scheming of weddings in this gorgeous venue. 

Yesterday, I had the most perfect afternoon.  Jim Albani, whom you met in the last post, treated my friend Cindy and me to High Tea, at the Cedarhurst Mansion (cedarhurstmansion.com).  It's south of St. Paul, in Cottage Grove, Minnesota.  This Greek Revival style mansion was built in the late 1800's, as a country house for a wealthy family, whose guest list included four U.S. Presidents.  The mansion is still as grand as ever it was, but the atmosphere wasn't stuffy at all.

This is referred to as the library, even though it only has a few small built in bookcases.  I'd be callin' it the ballroom, if it was my house, though knowing me, it would be overtaken in no time with ever larger art projects! 
We wandered about a bit, peeking into the main floor rooms, Cindy admiring the chandeliers, me the plaster, and Jim reading the historical notes posted in each room.

One of the tea rooms.  The china displayed throughout the rooms can be purchased. 
Our server was one of the owners, and she kindly answered all our questions about both the food and the mansion.  The menu consisted of a perfect cranberry and white chocolate scone with Devonshire cream, Waldorf salad, mushroom quiche, three tea sandwiches (including a tomato in vinaigrette that was fabulous), a chocolate dipped strawberry, a cupcake with berry sauce, and lemon sorbet in champagne to finish.

This parlor was just past our table.  I could have easily curled up on the sofa for a nap after tea, but Cindy was itching to get a peek at the barn.  Yeah, I think it's an obsession with her.  She's never seen a barn she didn't like.
It was the perfect amount of perfectly prepared food, served at a leisurely pace, spiced with great conversation, and after weeks of working straight through my days off, exactly what I needed!  I'm rested up, and ready to paint again!  Thank you so very much, Jim!

The current owners tackled painting the columns themselves,  copying one their designer sampled for them.
Although the paintwork in this post is not mine, I do similar things, which can be seen on my website, theartofthehome.com.

If you are tackling a project of your own and run into questions, drop me an email, and I'll share whatever I may know.  dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: