Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Saturday, September 10, 2011

I do.

...paint some unusual requests, that is.  This week, I had a call on voicemail from a local client, asking if I could paint over the way-too-pink flowers on the dress she wanted to wear to her son's wedding this weekend.  Sounded pretty scary to me, and I was dragging my feet on calling her back, until I checked my email, and discovered she had left me a message there, as well.  Not nice to keep someone that anxious waiting.  I had her come right over, not wanting to keep her hoping too long, sure she would need time to shop for a different dress.
Before, with too bright flowers.

Nothing wrong with bright pink flowers, if you happen to like bright pink flowers.

As it turned out, the fabric is an easy one to paint on, and the pattern a simple one.  Conveniently, a friend had just given me a bunch of her art supplies, which included some fabric paint and textile medium, so we were able to do a test flower on a hidden part of the hem, right then and there.  It actually looked pretty good, and the look of relief on her face made me glad I said I would try.   Once I got going, the rest of the flowers came out even better than the sample, and though I wasn't here when she picked up the dress, I got my hug telephonically a little later. 



After, with flowers toned down, to her liking.  Click the picture for a close-up.

Plummy browns and coppery tones compliment her complexion and red hair much better.
 Do I get rich doing things like this?  No.  But that's not the motivation.  I love being part of this community, having my certain something to contribute, and knowing that in this community, it always comes back around.  Instantly, in some cases!  After her phone call, I ran out front to water my totally neglected flower beds, which I haven't had time and weather coincide to care for in more than a month.  To my surprise,  someone had recently weeded the whole overgrown mess!  What a blessing.  But the bigger blessing is that I have no idea who did it, and that's not because I can't imagine anyone around here who would do it, but because I can easily think of more than a dozen who would!  I hope all of you live someplace full of so many kind people!

On the subject of weddings, don't forget Cindy Faus Heimerl's Open House for Rubies & Rust is coming up on Sunday the 18th.  Click the picture at the top of the column on the right for all the info.  You might want to also check out her website for the farmhouse next to the barn, atmarionsplace.com.  Plus, if you are in the Minneapolis area and getting married, visit Bride to Be Consignment (bridetobeconsignment.com), for great buys on everything from a dress to table decor.

When it comes time to feather your new nest together, you might want to see what I can do to help.  You can view my portfolio at theartofthehome.com.

Doing it yourself?  email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com if you have questions you think I might be able to answer.

No comments: