Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, May 7, 2012

An abstract impression of an impressionist...

Painting faux finishes is artistic, but for me, it's interesting for the first half a wall, and then it's just repetitious.  At this point, my inner three-year-old (who pretty much runs the show around here) flings her imaginary self to the floor, kicking her heels, and whining "I'm bo-ored".  Hey, just 'cause I don't have kids, don't think I don't know what you all go through.  Just because the whiner clinging to my knees is my alter ego, doesn't make it any easier to work while dragging her along.  You at least get to leave yours at daycare.  "Missy Sunshine" is as firmly attached to me as my shadow. 

I know, I know, I could have raised her to be less of a brat, or banished her, like a sensible (sane?!?!) grown-up, years ago.  But then, who would inspire me to fingerpaint swirls on the living room walls, or to buy the lace trimmed jeans for paint pants?  Heck, who would cut my hair on those crazy hot August days?  I've made peace with her, and most work days, I bribe her with promises of  pajama days to come, if she'll just stop reminding me how many more walls there are ahead of me, and let me paint in peace.  Last week, she didn't have to be convinced too often.  Last week was fun.  Take Wednesday's job, for instance:
Impressionistic mural on master bedroom wall.
My client, Anita, wanted something different for the accent wall in their master bedroom, and liked both the trowelled paint finish in my bathroom here at Belle Ami, and a similar sample of a job I did last year.  As we talked about it, I realized this was an opportunity to use the technique, but to create something more interesting than just an all-over pattern.  I knew she liked Renoir, and she wanted a watery feel, so I googled impressionists for some inspiration. 

Monet painted countless versions of the pond with lilies, and we chose this one for the overall balance of the composition.
It might be the shape of their bed, reminding me of his bridge in Giverny, but I was thinking of Monet's water lily paintings from the start, and sure enough, that was what she chose. Now, my wall  isn't intended to be a copy of the painting, just inspired by it, and using the movement in the piece to guide my placement of color on the walls, was pretty good insurance that Anita would like the end result. I've seen Mansions with Monet replicas painted full-surround in some rooms, but that would just be tedious copying, and Missy Sunshine would whine for sure. I think this was a waaay more fun way to spend the day, and my clients thoughts? "WOW! ...Wow... Wow!" (Bob) and "I love it!"(Anita), were the perfect end to a long but happy day. Oh, plus a great big hug from their (very real) youngest daughter.

Close-up.  I don't think Monet used a drywall trowel and a sea sponge, but then, he painted on slightly smaller canvas.

Wanna see what else my inner child has helped me paint?  Click on over to theartofthehome.com to see my portfolio, and for all the information on how to hire me...us. ;)

You can leave messages for either myself or my other self, in the comments below, or by email at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.  Sorry, Missy Sunshine does not get her own email.  That would just be crazy.

No comments: