Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hey Garbanzo, how ya bean?

This is the standard greeting my big sister, Robin, and I have exchanged since shortly after she went off to college.  This can be answered factually, or with the question,  "Do you like my hat?" (P.D. Eastman's Go, Dog! Go!, a favorite book of four-year-olds of our generation).   I just share this to clarify that any weirdness I may exhibit is not my fault, but was drummed into me by four older siblings.  It's an upgrade from "blame it on your mother".

That whole paragraph has very little to do with the rest of this post, except to serve as an explanation for the title, lest you think I actually converse with my garbanzos.  I know, after admitting to naming, talking to, and occasionally petting my fern, I shouldn't be surprised if you think I've lost it.  I did, by the way, finally name my three new house plants this morning.  Spike, Denny, and Sasha.  They seem to approve.  Oh, but this post isn't about that either.  Sorry, sidetracked.  This post is a recipe for reeeeeaaaallllly yummy garbanzos.  These are garbanzos that even people who don't like garbanzos like.  And they're easy.  And fast.

Throw all this stuff in a skillet:

One-pan dinner

Alright, not that fast.  There's a little prep involved.

While melting a Tbsp. of butter in a skillet
Clean and chop one bunch of green onions.
Toss that in the skillet, and while they start to soften, chop a tomato.
Toss that in the skillet, and while that starts to soften, toss in 1 Tbsp. of chopped garlic.
While that cooks gently, chop about half a bunch of cilantro, and throw it in.
Open the can of garbanzos, and dump it in, WITH the liquid.
Add about 1 Tbsp. of ground cumin.

Raise heat and bring to a boil, then boil gently until liquid is reduced to a sauce consistency.  Takes about five minutes.  Makes two main dish, or four side dish servings.

Speedy Garbanzos
Colombians serve this as a side dish to chicken and other meats. Vegetarians can serve it as a main dish with a good salad. Artists who worked a long day and need to get a blog post done and get to bed so they can be back to work crazy early in the morning serve it with a keyboard on the side. Yum.
Dinner and a blog post, all in one.
While enjoying your garbanzos, you might like to peruse my portfolio of painted pretties, at theartofthehome.blogspot.com

Questions or comments can be left below, or you can email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: