Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, December 3, 2012

Inspiration: Sandra Evertson

 After collaging about 70 pages for the winter issue of 365 Being, one would think I would be tired of paper and paste.  Never.  Not that I can squeeze any playtime in until later in the week, but I'm ready to make some paper ornaments and cards.  Although the book Fanciful Paper Projects, Making Your Own Posh Little Follies, by Sandra Evertson doesn't actually have instructions for ornaments, almost all the projects could be done from Christmasy papers and used as such.  I leaf through it often for inspiration, and I thought you might like it too.  Connect with her through sandraevertson.blogspot.com.

Here's a piece I created a couple of years ago, which I call "Skeptical Angel".  It was inspired by some of the projects in the book.  I started with the cone skirted tarts, but wanted to make something like the little paper theater stages, too, so of course I wandered off in my own direction.
Sandra Evertson's book inspired this paper folly.
 The book contains all the pieces printed out for the projects, which you can copy, then cut and assemble.  For me, half of the fun of paper crafting is coming up with my own designs.  The other half is collecting the paper, so not only did I not exactly follow the directions, I used my own collection of stuff.

My angel's face is a Madonna (who some of you will recognize, though I don't remember which master painted her).  I think the crowd is from the same painting.  If you don't have years of accumulated calendars from which to cut such images, just check the book section at Goodwill for art books.  It seems a shame to cut them up at first, until you realize you can get another about every week.  And what to do with those old encyclopedia Britannicas?  Angel wings are just one use. 
Great photos and really clear instructions make this friendly for beginners, inspiring for experienced artists.
I have papers that have moved with me for more than 20 years, from Oregon to Alaska to Minnesota.  I have a drawer full of gift wrap saved from gifts I have received, another full of tiny boxes, yet another brimming with vintage crepe paper, and a lifetime supply of scrapbook papers and clip art books.  Is it obsession?  Mmm...maybe a bit, but mostly it's just that I like having lots of things to choose from when I start assembling, and it's easy to collect lots, since paper crafting is one hobby that doesn't require a big cash investment to really get into it.

Some of my stash ended up on the collaged pages of the Winter issue of 365 Being, which went to the printer today.  Along with pretty pages to look at and read, we're including a tuck-in page with the pattern for the Love Dove ornament shown on the cover, along with photos of several versions, to get you inspired to make a flock for yourself.  You can subscribe at 365being.com
365being.com

No comments: