Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sorry, can't hear you, I'm in the bathroom...again.

Pretty little details around a bathroom window.

It's a good thing I have big exciting stuff happening this summer, like the birth of a new magazine, because otherwise, this would go down as the summer of garage doors and bathrooms. Have I painted anything else? Scroll down and check. Oh, never mind! There was a pink bat and blue llamas. Whew! For a minute there, I was worried things were getting strange.

These pieces inspired the style of the painted detail in this bathroom.

Todays bathroom paint job was a repaint of one that I did for the first time, about seven years ago. Just details. They did some work on the ceiling, and after that, the walls needed fresh paint, so Shirley gave them a couple of coats of off-white, and had me come back to add pretties. Last time, it was little pink rosebuds. This time, she had some French/Belgian themed accessories, inspired by a trip taken to Paris several years back, along with adorable cut-work bath mats she bought in a shop there. She went to Paris, fell in love with a leather jacket and a beautiful white sweater, but came home with bath mats. That's a bit sad, but the bathmats are way-much nicer than anything we have here, at least.  It apparently had something to do with a frugal husband tagging along, so put that on the Things Not to Take to France list, dear hearts!

There are a couple more of these corner details in the room, keeping the focus on the window, but carrying the decoration to other walls.
I riffled through a few books of ornamentation, and pulled together an idea for lines and scrolls, to surround the window, and accent a few corners. I painted three samples. Solid black was too stark. Tan scrolls with fine black line work was better, but the black was still to jarring. Finally, I tried doing the pattern in shades of light brown and bone. Just right! Though she wanted black and white to dominate, there is a lot of oak in the trim and cabinets, so this palette helped settle that into the design of the room. Shirley is pleased, and I'm on to my next project...

Yup, another bathroom.  Actually, I do get to spend tomorrow working on the mural at Unity of the Valley, adding a lizard, sea otter, and maybe a grizzly bear, to the bat, llamas, and other previously painted residents of that technicolor landscape.  So, animals Monday, then yet another bathroom on Thursday, if things go as scheduled...(it could happen).  Do check back!

You can also check out my portfolio, which I promise does include something other than bathrooms, garage doors, and improbable animals, at theartofthehome.com

Can I answer any questions?  clarify a process, or advise on a product?  Don't hesitate to ask, in the comments below, or by emailing me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: