Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Friday, June 3, 2011

Tweakin' Details

When I am hired to do a job, I promise a couple of things.  One, I never charge more than the quote, unless the customer changes the order, and two, the job is done when the customer is perfectly satisfied.

Today's project was a mural adjustment to keep the second promise.  We had originally planned that this story book mural be extremely light and airy, but adding a fawn to the scene, high enough on the wall to be seen if a small garden bench was placed in front of it, meant we needed solid ground for the critter to stand on.  The clients were happy with the final artwork when I finished, but after a few weeks, they called to ask if I could possibly lighten up the top edge.  I took a look at the photo, and agreed it could be done.  It might seem a small difference to the casual viewer, but in the scope of the room, it lightens the weight of the artwork, giving it better balance, and it makes them happier.


Fawn mural original

Fawn mural with grassy background thinned.  Click either photo to enlarge.
I know they were hesitant to ask me for this, partly because they wanted to respect me as an artist, and partly because it seemed a small detail, but I'm glad they did.  I am not a gallery artist.  I'm an artistic translator.  It's my job, my passion, to get the client's vision out of his/her head, and onto the walls.  I'm truly not happy until they are.  And in this case, it just so happens that I think the mural looks better with the change, which makes me doubly happy!  The end...again.

To check out my portfolio, and all the info on how to hire me to paint walls you are guaranteed to love, click here:  theartofthehome.com.

If you are more of a D-I-Y type, and run into problems with a decorating project, feel free to email and ask me.  If I know the answer to your question, I'll be happy to share the info.  dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: