Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Wild Things

I did my usual Friday night thing tonight.  OK, well, usually (wild woman that I am) I stay home and work on exciting things like plumbing on Friday nights, but if I do go out, it's usually up to Maureen Carlson's for Open Studio.  There is a class there this weekend, and since they were a little talkative throughout the day, class went well into the evening.  This actually made for a fun night, as the bottle of wine came out, and though I got the impression that talk had been pretty uncensored all day, the real stories were revealed after 5.  (5 p.m., not five glasses of wine...yikes!).  Now, I have no interest in selling ad space on this blog, but maybe I could make a little money offering Diane Keeler's secrets to the highest bidder!  I'm not talking the secrets of her exquisite dolls (ABSOLUTELY DO CLICK HERE: dianekeeler.com ).  You can pay to learn those techniques in classes at Maureen's (maureencarlson.com).  I'm thinking others might want to know...hmmm...maybe not.  I think I admitted to wilder adventu...uh, yeah, never mind. 

Click to enlarge, then click again for details, to see what Diane Keeler was teaching tonight.
Diane's class this weekend is on sculpting an ethereal adult fairy bust.  If you are into really exquisitely beautiful dollmaking, or classic fantasy art, back up and click the link.  The one I already commanded you to click.  I mean it.  I'm serious, you scroll back up there right now and check out her website.  This blog post will still be here when you return.

Back now?  Gorgeous work, huh?  Lucky me!  While I sat and sewed on my Open Studio project, I got to eavesdrop on not only the candid conversation, but on a bit of Diane's teaching, as well.  They were done with heads and torsos by the time I arrived, but I learned a lot about making necks.  This is a good thing, since if you remember last week, you know I have a whole box of sculpted heads awaiting bodies.  I finished one tonight...

Inspired by another teacher's soul boxes at Maureen's awhile back, I spotted this little wooden box in my treasure pile, and immediately saw breasts and belly.  Then I added a bird's head and wings.  I know, somehow that doesn't sound like quite such an obvious combination, now that I wrote it down. 

Yeah, not quite as sexy as Diane's creations, no matter how you pose her...

The head of this bird box is Das modeling compound (paper clay) over a glass jelly jar.  The top lifts off so you can put thoughts in her head.

Her wings and legs have foam covered wire inside.  It's very important to be able to pose your jewelery box, don't you think?
So, there you have it.  When I'm not at work sculpting paper clay onto clients' walls, I'm hanging with other artists, sculpting paper clay into odd creatures...or home working on things like plumbing.  I really wouldn't have it any other way.  I hope you live a life you absolutely love, and if I can add artistry to your home to enhance that life, I would be delighted.  Check out my portfolio and services at theartofthehome.com.

If you have questions about a project, or Diane Keeler's secrets ;) , feel free to email  me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com .  I'll be happy to advise you on projects.  As to Diane's secrets, I'm not tellin', but I'd still love to know what they're worth!

No comments: