Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Growing Up

I've recently reconnected on facebook with a best friend from childhood. Teri and I met at a Forest Service party (Our dads worked together) at Phillip's Lake, and bonded instantly over our nearly identical long blonde braids, love of chocolate cake, a tomboy preference for anything likely to get us dirty, and the fact that we share a birthday, though I'm a year older.  We were about the age of my art students now, and we were unlimited.  We read books, rode her horses, put on plays and performances, created parade costumes, played mermaids (when we could be coaxed into the bathtub), built puppet theaters, bossed her younger siblings, and did it all at top speed and maximum decibels.  Teri's dad took a transfer before we made it to Jr. High, and we lost track of each other, except for my parents occasionally saying they saw her on T.V., reporting the news from some far corner of the world.  We have a lot of catching up to do, but it's clear that what we did back then shaped or signalled who we would become.


"Artgirl vs. Rainbow Dragon" starring Jensen the ham.
  I hope Jensen still remembers these days when she's all grown up.  She finished the rainbow dragon a couple of weeks ago, and in true Jensen fashion, when I asked her to pose for a photo, she turned it into a monster attack.  This little girl has a passel of big brothers, all athletes, and she's pretty tough stuff herself when it comes to sports.  She also has some musical talent, and has sampled guitar and piano lessons, giving me some impressive demos on the old piano in my dining room.  She'll be taking a break from art lessons to try other things now, but we all agree that "once an Artgirl, always an Artgirl ", so she'll be around from time to time.   Can't wait to see what else she tries!
"I have to draw what?" Here's Faith's drawing of the cordless drill. Not only can she draw it, she can use it...
 Faithie is growing up, too.  A year ago, when she built her beautiful cardboard fairy castle, we had to drill a couple of holes to secure things to the base, and saw some doors in the oatmeal cartons.  She wasn't thrilled about the little handsaw we used, being sure she would cut off a finger, and she was really afraid of the cordless drill, though she sucked it up and got it over with.  That was a year ago.

Hair tied back, safety glasses on, Faith is ready to make some sawdust!
This week, at her request, she is starting a carpentry project.  It seems her frustration with not having a place for her art supplies, in the bedroom she shares with her little sister, has grown larger than her fear of noisy tools, and she has asked me to teach her to build shelves!  It just so happens that when I was nine, I saw instructions in a magazine for simple shelves installed with grosgrain ribbon hangers, and since all I had were barn boards and garden twine, I adapted the technique.  Not only will Faithie's be made with the proper materials, but she will learn how to properly anchor screws into the wall.  (Note to Father:  Sorry about the giant nail holes in your fresh Sheetrock.  I figured the bigger the nail the better, and no way could I wait for you to get home from work.)

I haven't any idea where my amazing Artgirls will be when they are the age I am now, but I think I have a clue as to what they will be capable of.  Check this blog in 35 years, if you're curious too.  Heck, if you don't want to wait that long, Faithie's shelves will be done in a few weeks, and posted with instructions so you can build some, too, and if you check back here Friday night, I'll post some shots of the paint jobs I'm working on this week.

To view my portfolio of paint and plaster work, and get all the info on how to hire me, click on over to theartofthehome.com.

Working on a D-I-Y project and have questions?  Email me, and if I know the answer, I'll be happy to share it.  dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: