Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, April 16, 2012

All in good time...


If you have read this blog for very long, you've probably figured out by now that I work as much, if not more, on intuition than by the rule book, when it comes to design.  I consider what I do a spiritual process, creating the perfect environment for the people who inhabit a space.  I don't claim to be a genius of design, but rather a channel for the Divine (as we all are, in our own way).  People know in their souls what they need, and I just translate.

I was recently asked to completely change the look and feel of a family room, for a couple with teen-aged kids.  I was super busy, so couldn't get to the job right away, but they weren't too concerned, and agreed at the initial meeting that as they were busy also, and about to leave on a trip, this would come together in "divine right time".  Usually, clients either have a pretty good idea of what they want me to paint for them, or I get a few pretty strong ideas, upon seeing their spaces, and asking a few questions.  Worst case, I might need a night or two to sleep on it.  Not this time.  They knew they wanted bright citrus colors, snack bar/soda fountain equipment, and some way to mask an unused sliding glass door.  They didn't have any ideas as to style, but they wanted something more design-wise than just nice colors and matching furniture, which is why they called me.

Wallpaper stripped, North Woods decorations removed.  Now what?

Colors, themes and the space would not coordinate though, no matter how many mornings I doodled, how many magazines I poured over, no matter how many hours I spent perusing Pinterest.  I finally gave up, which is something I've done maybe five times in my life. (Certain people would call me stubborn, but I think tenacious sounds much nicer, don't you?  Don't you?  Ahem?)

I arrived at our next meeting, a month later, ready to admit defeat, hating to let them down.  They were still confident I could design something special for them though, and wanted to know if I could incorporate something they brought home from Costa Rica... 

Clarity comes from a frog.  Especially perfect for teaching me this refresher in allowing things to unfold in divine right time, since frogs, being amphibious, symbolize the combining of the physical and spiritual natures.  Divine design, indeed.
The minute I saw the frog, I knew what to do:  A play on the market stalls and refreshment stands found throughout much of Latin America, with brilliant lime and mango walls, and a heavy dose of  "corrugated metal siding", a sample of which I happened to have with me.  A tropical smoothie shack hang-out, with a screen made of brightly painted wooden doors to mask the unused patio door, but still allow some light in... maybe shutters or awnings on the windows, oh, and galvanized details, like using pipe for the handrail, and simple barn lights, and... lots of details to pick up the flavor of this precious family adventure they had just returned from!  Suddenly, they were coming up with ideas as fast as I was.

No wonder I couldn't get a feel for their idea of the perfect get-away space, sooner.  They hadn't been there yet!  Divine right time.  You can't force it.

This project will actually happen in May, so watch for photos of the finished room, then.  I'm scheduling June projects now, so if you want to get on the calendar, check out my portfolio, and the information on how to hire me at theartofthehome.blogspot.com.

Comments can be left below, or you can email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.








No comments: