Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Author, Subject, or Illustrator?


Yesterday, I had the privilege of being interviewed by Kim Palmer of the Star Tribune, the Minneapolis newspaper that covers the entire state.  While she and I talked, well, okay, yes, mostly just I talked and she tried to slow me down enough to clarify, photographer Courtney Perry shot Belle Ami from every angle imaginable.  I don't know all the details of when this beautiful old lady (hey, that's the house, not me, watch it there, Bucko!) will appear in the paper, but I'll keep you posted.

Oh, look!   I added a new door and a courtyard beyond...

...or more like it, I finally finished the living room mural.  Well, pretty much finished.  There are still a few shadows to perfect, and the sculpture of a dripping wet human-sized Gwragedd Anwnn (Welsh water sprite) stepping out of the mural and into the room, to be added in the near future.
What I can tell you is that the days leading up to this were filled with much anticipation, little sleep, a good bit of flying paint, and the generous help of darling friends.  I hope every one of you reading this has a friend who will show up to do your dusting and sweep all your floors (thank you, thank you, thank you, Maureen Carlson), one who will gift you with beautiful furniture (thanks for the perfect chaise, Cat Isles), one who will help you haul said furniture up the stairs when she herself is bone tired (thank you bunches, Cindy Faus Heimerl), and a whole bunch more friends who celebrate your big moments, with warm wishes, hearty congratulations, and chocolate deliveries.


Detail of the mural, which a few short days before the interview was still a big white blotch, where the previous mural had been painted over.  Nothing like self-inflicted pressure to get a job done!
 Belle and I made two new friends, yesterday.  Reporter, Kim Palmer (click here for her article on prairie planting http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/137503533.html), has seventeen years under her belt, with the Star Tribune, the last seven of those working on the Home and Garden section.  When I asked why she chose H & G as her focus, she said "What I find most interesting about my beat is seeing the many ways people imprint themselves and their passions on their surroundings. And people are usually eager to talk about their homes and gardens (unlike many hard-news subjects, when they mostly want to avoid the press!)"  I know she made me feel very comfortable opening up, which though I obviously find it pretty easy on this blog, is actually much harder in person.  Kim says she also enjoys reporting on the renewed interest in gardening, especially urban gardening and the microfarming movement that is turning vacant city lots into verdant veggie plots.  I didn't ask if she would like to come back to view my mammoth, organically grown dandelions, next summer.

Freelance photographer, Courtney Perry, and reporter, Kim Palmer, let me turn the tables on them, ever so briefly
I knew I would also really like photographer, Courtney Perry (courtneyperry.com), from the minute she came through the door, though I didn't get to talk with her much, at the time.  I checked her website later, and discovered she is recently transplanted here from Dallas Texas, where she worked for the Dallas Morning News.  I emailed for more info, and she told me she moved here last year to marry her soul mate, and freelancing allows her to explore a new nook of Minnesota every day.

Playing duelling cameras with a pro could be dangerous, but Courtney's a good sport.
It turns out, yesterday was Courtney's birthday, but I think I received the bigger gift, in the following words from her email reply:  "I'll write more later, seeing as it's quite late and I'm quite tired, but for your blog post tomorrow, this is what I can share about me: today was my birthday, and my only work assignment was to go to your house, and it was SUCH A GIFT. The perfect birthday assignment. I was inspired, moved, comforted, and reminded of who I am. How amazing is that?"  How amazing indeed.  Thank you Courtney for such high praise, and welcome to Minnesota!  We're fortunate to have you.

So, my week has started with a bang!  And not just one.  Maybe more like fireworks.  Today I met with author Cat Isles about illustrating her latest book, and it seems I will also be writing a few bits for it.  It is on the art of correspondence, and includes a perpetual calendar, where one can record birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions.  My illustrations are probably going to be pen and ink flora and fauna, collaged with backgrounds of old hand-written letters.  Not sure how long the project will take, but you know I'll keep you posted on the progress of that.

And finally, I also received word today that the drywall crew is finishing up on my big spring project (whose ribs were featured on here a couple of months ago), so I get to start in on that in a couple of weeks.  With the other projects already on the calendar, this means my schedule is fully booked through at least the end of March!  Lots of fun paint projects coming up, so check back often for photos, and the stories of how the adventures unfold.  I need to make one more adjustment to the blogging schedule, by the way.  Rather than posting on Tuesday and Thursday, I suspect it's going to suit the schedule a little better to write new posts on Monday and Thursday nights, so look for updates around midnight Central time. 

Thinking of letting me write about what I paint on your walls, later this spring?  Check out my website, theartofthehome.com, to view my portfolio of possibilities, and get all the info on how to hire me.

Doing a project yourself?  If you run into a decorating dilemma you think I might be able to help solve, please don't hesitate to ask.  If I know the answer, I'll be happy to share it, and will likely throw in a whole lot of extra unsolicited advice, to boot.  You can click on "comments" below, or email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.



No comments: