Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, October 3, 2011

I'm not crazy. Really.

Oh, look!  I did something normal!  I turned a quilt block into...gasp...a pillow top.  If you're wondering what the big deal is, you're a little new here, aren't you?  Click this link to an older post, to see the last place I put a crazy quilt:  http://theartofthehome.blogspot.com/2011/03/inspiration-robin-brownmagnolia-pearl.html.  For me, that's typical. 

I originally made this quilt block for a purse, but decided that the embroidery wasn't likely to hold up to the rigors I put a purse through. The thing is, I sew my own purses custom-sized and fitted to hold tools, including the cordless drill, for those days when I'm trying to look like a proper designer, but know I'm going to be installing drapery hardware. Next time I really must remember to empty that out, before running in to make a withdrawal at the bank.  Yeah, well, I didn't cause anyone to actually set off any alarms, and I didn't say: "Alright everyone, this is a screw up!" mainly because I didn't (thankfully!) think of it at the time.  Anyway, back to quilting.


I treated myself to a real day off this weekend. I alternated rereading a favorite book, with burning a batch of banana muffins (recipe here:  http://theartofthehome.blogspot.com/2011/05/best-ever-banana-muffins.html), auditioning a different coffee table in my living room (it failed, but might make a good base for an armoire I want to build), and sewing this pillow. Like I said, the quilt block was done, so I just had to sew the flange (which is a great cheatie way to make a pillow seem bigger when the insert you have is smaller than you would like, but you are not going to get out of your pajamas and drive to the fabric store for a bigger one), then stitch on a backing and a few buttons. I must've had some angelic intervention, 'cause all three button holes stitched up perfectly on the first try, which has happened to me, let's see... never!

If you want to learn the technique for crazy quilting, which is completely different than regular piece work quilting, learn from the Queen of Crazy Quilting, Judith Baker Montano.  judithbakermontano.com.  The basic piecing is pretty easy, and goes together quick.  The time-consuming part is the details.  This is the simplest piece I have ever embellished.  Usually there are all sorts of beads, buttons and ribbon work, plus charms and embroidered motifs.  It can be used to make gorgeous scenic art, interesting mixed media art, and yes, strategic covering for a cracked plaster ceiling.  Crazy good!

Now, speaking of crazy good, here's a fun little thing that happens a lot around here.  I'm not religious in the traditional sense, but one day I may have to write a book called "God Came Knocking", because The Divine has a habit of showing off by sending people to my door to deliver messages, about once a month.  I'll be thinking about something, sometimes asking for answers in morning pages or prayers, and the doorbell rings, and the person there has come to talk about exactly that subject.  It's not always something of earth-shattering importance.  Like today, which seems to be just fun synchronicity...

See, as I was getting dressed this morning, I was thinking about writing tonight's post, based on my new rabbit pillow.  In my head, I was writing something about how I once thought I would take up quilting, and collected several books on the topic and a small mountain of fabric, only to realize after my first block that I would never have the attention span to make two of the same, much less sixteen to sixty of them, but lucky for me, when I moaned about this at the fabric store (they were client's of mine back in my sign painter days), they traded my Georgia Bonesteel quilting book for one of Judith's.  So, as I was editing this in my brain (into slightly shorter sentences), and tying my shoes, there was a knock at my door.  It was my friend Sherry, who dabbles in dealing vintage and antique goodies, bringing me a birthday gift:  a pretty little vintage baby quilt made up of sixteen identical blocks embroidered with pink bunnies.  She had no idea what I would want it for, didn't know I had ever quilted anything but my ceiling, and had no idea I was even remotely interested in quilts, but she simply had to get it for me, and had to drop it off first thing this morning. 

Crazy good.
...and no, Mom, not to worry, there's not a chance this will get used for it's intended purpose in my house, unless God's sense of humor is seriously warped.
By the way, if you are in the Belle Plaine area, Sherry, who was my sidekick when I had the boutique, is having a garage sale this Wednesday and Thursday.  It's nearly all vintage and antique, at REALLY good prices.  Just take Meridian north to State street, and State street west toward Blakely.  Sherry's place is on the right, just before you come to the end of Belle Plaine and head into the country.  If you are anywhere in the TC Metro, drive on down.  After Sherry's, you can cruise on along the river to check out the gorgeous autumn leaves, loop back through Belle Plaine for coffee and lunch at Duets, then hit Jim's Apple Barn on the way back up 169, for a few dozen kinds of apples, not to mention something like 87 (I'm not making this up) kinds of licorice.

Normally, I paint walls and ceilings, and I do a pretty good job of it, which you can see at theartofthehome.com.

If you have any questions about decorating that you think I might be able to answer, feel free to email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.  If you have questions only God can answer, I suggest you ask, then listen for the knock at your door! ;)

No comments: