Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, October 24, 2011

Aw, nuts.

I had all kinds of things planned the last few days that would have made great blog posts...if any of them had happened.  Mainly, I planned to be writing about decorating Belle's porch for Halloween, but instead of doing that, I spent Sunday on a ladder on the porch roof, re-roofing the second floor balcony.  Turns out that walnut tree seedling growing in the gutter, wasn't growing in the gutter, but in a hole in the roof right behind the gutter. 

Luckily, the afternoon was warm, and there was a package of leftover shingles in the garage.  Luckily, I was raised in a herd of mountain goats known as the Lara kids, and our dad thought nothing of putting ten-year-olds on a farm house roof, to help shingle it.  I think now, just as then, I made a few neighbors nervous, but I noticed only one person commented or offered help until I was carrying the staircase ladder back down the extension ladder.  Just enough arm reach, just enough shingles, and just enough daylight to get them nailed down. 

I find it amusing that of all the people who commented, the older woman who stopped to admire the house, when I was just getting started, was the least concerned about my ability to climb the ladders and do what needed done.  Then again, though elegantly dressed for a Sunday stroll, she was from North Dakota, where I doubt a woman of her generation had the luxury of being too delicate to do whatever needed doing.  Of course, my safety and success may be due to the prayer she promised to say for me, on her walk back up the street to the nursing home.  Guess that's all the help I needed.  Thanks, Connie.  It was a delight to meet you!

I'll try to finish something fun and photogenic by Wednesday night's post.  As always, you can check out my portfolio and information on how to hire me at theartofthehome.com.  If you are working on a project of your own (of the decorating variety), and have questions, I'm happy to share what I know.  Email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.

No comments: