Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Just a quick lick...

Last week, with a long weekend looming, I thought I would clean up the back screen porch a little, so I could use it for writing in the mornings, and having tea with friends at other times.  After moving my bicycle to the garage, and giving the last of McDog's no longer needed paraphernalia to the neighbor dogs, I gave it a ceiling to floor scrub down, then decided a quick lick of paint would be a good idea.  You caught that, right?  The words quick and paint in the same sentence, coming from me?  By now, you all know I am incapable of quick paint when it comes to this place, so why don't I know it?  Let's just be nice and call it optimism, okay?  Thank you.

Could I limit it to a bold shade of purple, and call it quirky enough? 

No.

Start with a squeaky-clean floor, prime with a good bonding primer, top with an exterior enamel, preferably the kind made for floors, though I'll admit I cheated and used what I have on hand, since the 105 year old porch will need to be rebuilt in a few years, anyway.  Mark off the main pattern features in chalk, and start painting.  Of course, leave drying time between all steps
Could I just do a nice quick Woolie color-meshing number with a couple shades of purple?

No.
Using a loose freehand technique, fill in each color, allowing to dry between colors, or risking dragging your toes through the paint behind you.
Could I maybe limit it to something that could be completed in a long weekend?

Sure.  Almost.
Keep adding embellishments until it looks finished.  To make it as quick as possible, I limited the design to what could be done with "comma" strokes, and three sizes of paint brushes.  This keeps things fairly uniform, without needing elaborate measurements, or masking.  If you want a more precise look, be as picky as you want.  Me, I wanted to stick as close as possible to the original plan of "a quick lick of paint"
So, while everyone else watched fireworks and fed mosquitoes, I painted my porch floor, and then covered chairs to match, dug through the junk stash for cool stuff to hang on the walls, and finished a couple of art projects that might give personality to the space.  Just waiting now for the floor to cure, so I can put it all together.  Might happen Friday, so check back here after midnight, if you want to see.

 You are invited to High Tea
 This Saturday, Cindy Faus Heimerl and Cat Isles will host their monthly high tea at Marion's Place.  The setting is enchanting, the food fabulous, and the company is always a delightful mix.  Oh, and they serve good tea, too, of course.  This month it's a flamingo themed tea, so be prepared for pinkness.  You will find all the info on Cindy's website atmarionsplace.com, then RSVP to Cindy to reserve your spot.
Cindy Faus Heimerl, artist, entrepeneur, and wedding officiant extraordinaire never lets a little thing like pouring rain ruffle her feathers.
If you would like to hire me to paint ridiculously detailed pretties in your home, you can see my portfolio at theartofthehome.com, then contact me by phone ( number is on the website) or email, or better yet, catch up with me on Saturday at the tea. 

If you have questions about painting your own floor, please don't hesitate to ask.  I love it when people get creative in their own homes, so feel free to email me at dawnmariedelara@gmail.com.  I'll share whatever I know.

No comments: