Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Monday, December 20, 2010

Popeye, Pocahontas, and the true meaning of Christmas

What a year! What a week!  It's not been my best of either, but, oh, what a day today!  What a beautiful, precious, perfectly imperfect day...

It started with my nine-year-old art student, Faith.  We extended the regular class an hour, and then I skipped the Keystone business meeting so we could finish our project, a gingerbread house, built all the way from scratch, starting with drafting the patterns.  Knowing Faith would be the only student today, and knowing her absolute adoration of all things candy, I had promised her this project.  Shortly after arriving, she told me she was so excited, she had slept last night in her clothes and art apron, so she could wake up ready to come.  I LOVE elf duty!!!!!  It's the absolute best thing about being a grown-up, and this year, despite having no kids of my own, I've had lots of kids on my elf roster (do bear in mind that my elf roster is full even in child-free years...one need never be too old for Santa!). 


If you need an architect in about a dozen years, check back here.  Faith just may be available.
















Kadence didn't come to class today because not only is it her eighth birthday, but tonight was her acting debut.  Kadence is a born communicator.  If CNN needs a new anchor woman, someone send 'em my way, and I'll put them in touch.  Kadence's role tonight in the Unity of the Valley Christmas Play?  Pocahontas, of course.  Yes, Pocahontas at the manger.


Pocahontas brought a compass to the baby

Not strange at all.  I mean, she was in good company.  Also in attendance at the manger were Count from Sesame Street, Popeye, Frosty the Snowman, Cupid, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, three kings, three elves, and Santa Claus, plus two angels, and the title role, the little drummer boy.  It was about delivering symbols of the twelve strengths that Unity recognizes as the gifts of Spirit within each of us, about the idea that we all have something to give, and in so doing, our own Christ light is revealed. 



Three of Unity's littlest angels warmed up the crowd with a few well-sung songs

Despite the fact that repeated snowstorms had cancelled nearly every practice, that tonight's snowstorm left Joseph and Mary stranded and unable to be there, and unlike the disjointed chaos of dress rehearsal an hour before the show, it went off without a hitch.  Each child delivered perfect lines (the Count, Kadence's brother Gabe, in an excellent accent that was much admired by the audience).  No little angels cried or wet their pants, and at the end, when they all sang "The Little Drummer Boy", standing there in a hodge-podge one never expects to see on the same stage in a year, much less the same night, they were so sweetly beautiful, my eyes leaked the overflow from my heart. 


It has been been a tough year, and especially rough the past week, but I suspect in hindsight, it will turn out to be one of the best...a pivotal year.  Thank you to all the friends who have encouraged me, assisted me, watched out for me, and loved me.  Thanks to new friends and old who emailed and left comments after Mckinley's post, last Wednesday.  I may not clearly see all my blessings at this time, but I count you among them.  Have a beautiful Holiday Season, and may your heart be filled with the innocent wonder of a child.