Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Friday, July 2, 2010

You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby...Room


Since I'm busy with a writing project this week, here's a shot from the archives.  Chinoiserie updated for a baby girl's room, with monkeys, hummingbirds, and even a pink ceiling.  The only bad thing about this one?  Within a few months of completion, the clients had an unexpected opportunity to move to a home better suited to their growing family and home-based business.  

The homeowner was heartbroken to leave behind this very personalized room, but I had a plan.  In the new house, we used the existing caramel wall color, added a harlequin diamond glaze, and "transplanted" four of the curly vines into pots painted on the walls.  One of the monkeys even came along, this time in a mural on one wall.   Little Gracie Quinn was right at home, once her beloved birds and monkey arrived.  I love a story with a happy ending.
Someday, when I invest the time in learning to shoot decent pictures, I'll get a good shot of the new version.  For now, I'm learning to write decent copy.  The photo below is where I've spent most of my week, on the living room sofa, clipboard on knees, struggling through revisions, rewrites, and seemingly contradictory directions, wishing I could walk out between the columns, and find myself on a Scottish riverbank...not just yet, I guess.
  The weather has not cooperated with dry skies on days I'm home and not writing, so no paint progress to report on the front porch.  Perhaps this Independence Day Weekend will be better, but the forecast isn't hopeful.  There's of course, a never ending list of other things I can do on this house,  so perhaps next week's blog will show something new. 

I hope your view of the fireworks this weekend is spectacular, and if you miss those, plan ahead to be in Belle Plaine on July 18th, when we do ours.  We're home base for a pyrotechnics company, so we get a really good show, we just have to wait til "Barbecue Days".

No comments: