Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.

Ornamental Plaster Sculpting, Mural Painting, Faux Finishing, and Imaginative Interior Design.
CLICK ON THE RABBIT ( yes, those are cabinets) TO SEE MY PORTFOLIO, AND LEARN MORE ABOUT MY SERVICES...theartofthehome.com

Saturday, November 22, 2008

feng shui...fact or fooey?

This week, I attended a feng shui presentation here in Belle Plaine, at Mystic Journey. The proprietor, Sarah Jaeger, offers lovely things for your spiritual journey, whatever religious (or not) path you take. She has books, candles, incense, crystals, music, and more, and most Mondays, a workshop or presentation. Find her website in my list of favorite people, at the lower right .

Feng shui expert, Carole Hyder, spoke this Monday. Now, I've read just enough about feng shui to be skeptical. I know there is a very complicated traditional Chinese version requiring birth charts, astrology, and intensive training. This never clicked with me, as I just don't believe humans are designed to need detailed formulas and highly trained professionals to connect us with divine energy. Can it be done that way? Doubtless, but it doesn't sound like fun, and doing it intuitively, I know from experience, is fun.

The other feng shui, Black Hat, I believe it is called, I wasn't sold on either. It is far simpler, but one of the basic principles, having to do with direction, is so at odds with the traditional method, how could they both be true? Well, here's what I've come to understand after a week of mulling over Carole's presentation..

Everything is energy. Energy moves, like anything, either where it is directed, or along the path of least resistance. It is wise to attract healthy energy to your home, and allow it to flow freely through all parts. By following feng shui methods when decorating, you ascertain that all aspects of a healthy life are represented in a balanced manner, and that good energy flows to and around them all. I'm all about decorating with symbols of intention, and using feng shui forces you to pay close attention to what you're living with, and without, where life is flowing, and where it is stuck. Carole's information made sense to me, from this perspective.

She was also not adamant about the colors for each area. For instance, traditionally the front door should be red, and the area in the far left front corner, as you enter this door, should contain blue. Well, I don't want blue in that corner, and I would hate a red door on this house. And I really hate the work should! Carole recommended painting the front door a color that says "you", or decorating around it with red items.

Since it's about twenty degrees outside today, I don't think Mr. Q has to decide between fuchsia, plum or periwinkle paint, so I won't even stress him out (just yet) by mentioning the idea. I do think it's a good day to get out some winter decorations, like old red skis, for the porch. I'll pop a photo on here later. In the meantime, check out Carole's website, also listed to the right, and remember that this blog is my take on feng shui, not her information, verbatim.

No comments: